GIRLFLY SUMMER ART & ACTIVISM PROGRAM
July 6-30, 2020
Monday through Thursday, 10am-2:30pm
Performances July 29-30, 2020
Wednesday and Thursday, 7pm
Rehearsals and Performances take place at
CounterPulse, 80 Turk Street, SF
Click here for the GIRLFLY 2020 online applications! They are due April 27, 2020.
WHAT IS GIRLFLY?
The 2020 Summer Arts & Activism Project will bring 20 young women from the Bay Area for four weeks to:
- Get hands-on experience in aerial dance & female style hip hop/street dance
- Earn $500
- Create original dances for performance
- Learn from working with professional dance artists
- Learn about issues of girls’ empowerment and the school to prison pipeline
- Research and carry out a Photography project led by activist Jasmine Brown
- Connect with young women across neighborhoods, schools, ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender identity
Who is it for?
Young women and non-binary youth ages 14-19 who are strongly interested in performing, making positive change in the world and can commit to attending the entire 4 weeks of the program. African American, Arab, Latina, Native, Asian and Pacific Islander, low-income and LGBTQ+ identified girls/youth are strongly encouraged to apply. The primary requirement is that you like to dance.
What’s the schedule?
The program is 4 weeks long and meets as follows:
Starts July 6, 2020
Ends July 30, 2020
Runs Monday to Thursday 1000AM -2:30PM
Two Mandatory Performances Wednesday and Thursday, July 29 and 30, at 7PM
Where is it?
80 Turk Street, San Francisco
Close to Powell Street Bart
What’s the application process?
Fill out the application on line or request one in the mail or over email.
Applications are due April 27, 2020.
Once your complete application is received, we will contact you to set up an in-person interview. We will notify you of your status by May 20thh, 2020.
Contact Flyaway Productions at 415.672.4111 or firstname.lastname@example.org
GIRLFLY 2019: A Closer View
Check out this inspiring video from our GIRLFLY 2019 performances.
Video by: Rapt Productions
Photos from GIRLFLY 2019 by: Vitali Kononov
GIRLFLY 2018: Acting UP
Check out this inspiring video from our GIRLFLY 2018 performances.
Video by: Lala Openi
Photos from GIRLFLY 2018 by: Brechin Flournoy
GIRLFLY 2017: In the Gardens
Check out this inspiring video from our GIRLFLY 2017 performances.
Photos from GIRLFLY 2017 by: Brechin Flournoy
Dance Residencies During School and After School
Fish that Sneak. Boom Bands Billowing. Dancing on the Curve of the Earth.
Flyaway Productions makes dances for kids. We offer curriculum-based dance residencies in schools and in afterschool programs. Your young artists are our artistic collaborators. We lead with imagination, dynamic creative movement, and a deep respect for social justice. Our dances are athletic, kinetic, and socially relevant. We work with K-12 students, offering residencies and a final performance by your students.
Past and Present Community Partners
- Sunnyside Elementary School
- Mission YMCA
- ODC School
- Oasis for Girls
- June Jordan School for Equality
- University of San Francisco
- Berkeley High School
- The Marsh Youth Theater
We tailor each residency to your interests and curriculum
- “Where Does the Butterfly Go When it Rains?”
- “Earth Day Dances”
- The Disappearing Bees Dance”
- “Butter Battle Dances”
- “Dances for Oh the Places You’ll Go”
- “Rainforest, Dessert, and Ocean Dances”
- “Balancing on the Curve of the Earth”
Call for A Consultation: 415.672.4111 or email@example.com