GIRLFLY SUMMER ART & ACTIVISM PROGRAM
APPLY ONLINE NOW: GIRLFLY IN THE GARDENS
July 1-27, 2019 (no class on July 4)
Monday through Thursday, 1-6pm
at Quesada Gardens in the Bayview District (Quesada at Third Street)
WHAT IS GIRLFLY?
The 2019 Summer Arts & Activism Project will bring 20 young women from the Bay Area for four weeks to:
- Get hands-on experience in site specific dance, making dances in Quesada Gardens in San Francisco’s Bayview District
- Earn $500
- Create original dances for performance
- Learn from with working with professional dance artists
- Learn about issues of girls’ empowerment and social justice
- Research and carry out a Writing as Activism project, led by an ethnic studies professor from SF State
- Connect with young women across neighborhoods, schools, ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender identity
Choreography by Jo Kreiter, Megan Lowe, and GIRLFLY Youth.
WHO IS IT FOR?
Young women ages 14-19 who are strongly interested in performing, making positive change in the world and can commit to attending the entire 4 weeks of the program. African American, Arab, Latina, Native, Asian and Pacific Islander, low-income and LGBTQ-identified women are strongly encouraged to apply. Dance experience is helpful.
WHAT’S THE SCHEDULE?
The program is 4 weeks long and meets as follows:
- Starts July 1, 2019 (no session 7/4)
- Ends July 27, 2019
- Runs Monday to Thursday 1-6pm
- Two Mandatory Performances on Saturday Afternoon, July 27, 2019
WHERE IS IT?
- 1700 Block of Quesada Ave, San Francisco, CA 94124
- Public transit via light rail: Third Street/Oakdale/Palou
WHAT’S THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
You can fill out the APPLICATION ONLINE or request one in the mail or over email.
Applications are due April 27, 2019.
Once your complete application is received, we will contact you to set up an in-person interview. We will notify you of your status by May 20th, 2019.
Contact Flyaway Productions at 415.672.4111 or firstname.lastname@example.org
GIRLFLY 2018: Acting UP
Check out this inspiring video from our GIRLFLY 2018 performances.
Video by: Lala Openi
Photos from GIRLFLY 2018 by: Brechin Flournoy
GIRLFLY 2017: In the Gardens
Check out this inspiring video from our GIRLFLY 2017 performances.
Photos from GIRLFLY 2017 by: Brechin Flournoy
Dance Residencies During School and After School
Fish that Sneak. Boom Bands Billowing. Dancing on the Curve of the Earth.
Flyaway Productions makes dances for kids. We offer curriculum-based dance residencies in schools and in afterschool programs. Your young artists are our artistic collaborators. We lead with imagination, dynamic creative movement, and a deep respect for social justice. Our dances are athletic, kinetic, and socially relevant. We work with K-12 students, offering residencies and a final performance by your students.
Past and Present Community Partners
- Sunnyside Elementary School
- Mission YMCA
- ODC School
- Oasis for Girls
- June Jordan School for Equality
- University of San Francisco
- Berkeley High School
- The Marsh Youth Theater
We tailor each residency to your interests and curriculum
- “Where Does the Butterfly Go When it Rains?”
- “Earth Day Dances”
- The Disappearing Bees Dance”
- “Butter Battle Dances”
- “Dances for Oh the Places You’ll Go”
- “Rainforest, Dessert, and Ocean Dances”
- “Balancing on the Curve of the Earth”
Call for A Consultation: 415.672.4111 or email@example.com