Applications for GIRLFLY 2018 are available! APPLY by APRIL 27th, 2018!
WHAT IS GIRLFLY?
The 2018 Summer Arts & Activism Project will bring 20 young women from the Bay Area to:
- Get hands-on experience in aerial and site specific dance
- Earn $500
- Create original dances for performance
- Learn from working with professional dance artists
- Learn about issues of girls’ empowerment and social justice
- Conduct an activism project
- Investigate poetry, journalism, and oral history writing
- Connect with young women across neighborhoods, schools, ethnicity, and sexual orientation
WHO IS IT FOR?
Young women ages 14-19 who are strongly interested in performing, making positive change in the world and can commit to attending the entire 4 weeks of the program. African American, Arab, Latina, Native, Asian and Pacific Islander, low-income, and LGBT-identified women are strongly encouraged to apply. Dance experience is helpful but not required.
WHAT’S THE SCHEDULE?
The program is 4 weeks long and meets 4 days a week, 4 hours a day. It ends with two performances.
GIRLFLY 2018 will run July 9 – August 2.
Rehearsals will be Mondays-Thursdays, 10am-2pm.
Performances (mandatory) will be on Wednesday, August 1st and Thursday, August 2nd at 7pm.
WHERE IS IT
In 2018, the program takes place at Counterpulse, 80 Turk St in downtown SF.
WHAT’S THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
You can fill out the APPLICATION ONLINE or request one in the mail or over email.
Applications are DUE by APRIL 27TH, 2018.
Once your complete application is received, we will contact you to set up an in-person interview.
Contact Flyaway Productions at 415.672.4111 or firstname.lastname@example.org
GIRLFLY 2017: In the Gardens
Check out this inspiring video from our GIRLFLY 2017 performances.
Photos from GIRLFLY 2017 by: Brechin Flournoy
Dance Residencies During School and After School
Fish that Sneak. Boom Bands Billowing. Dancing on the Curve of the Earth.
Flyaway Productions makes dances for kids. We offer curriculum-based dance residencies in schools and in afterschool programs. Your young artists are our artistic collaborators. We lead with imagination, dynamic creative movement, and a deep respect for social justice. Our dances are athletic, kinetic, and socially relevant. We work with K-12 students, offering residencies and a final performance by your students.
Past and Present Community Partners
- Sunnyside Elementary School
- Mission YMCA
- ODC School
- Oasis for Girls
- June Jordan School for Equality
- University of San Francisco
- Berkeley High School
- The Marsh Youth Theater
We tailor each residency to your interests and curriculum
- “Where Does the Butterfly Go When it Rains?”
- “Earth Day Dances”
- The Disappearing Bees Dance”
- “Butter Battle Dances”
- “Dances for Oh the Places You’ll Go”
- “Rainforest, Dessert, and Ocean Dances”
- “Balancing on the Curve of the Earth”
Call for A Consultation: 415.672.4111 or email@example.com