CLICK HERE TO APPLY for the 2017 GIRLFLY online application. Deadline extended to 5/15.
WHAT IS GIRLFLY?
The 2017 Summer Arts & Activism Project will bring 15 young women from the Bay Area to:
- Get hands-on experience in site specific dance
- Earn $500
- Create original dances for performance
- Learn from working with professional dance artists
- Learn about issues of girls’ empowerment and social justice
- Conduct an activism project: this year we will focus on writing as activism with SF State professor Wei-Ming Deriotis
- Investigate poetry, journalism and oral history writing, and publish a blog
- Connect with young women across neighborhoods, schools, ethnicity, and sexual orientation
WHO IS IT FOR?
Young women ages 14-19 who are strongly interested in performing, making positive change in the world and can commit to attending the entire 4 weeks of the program. African American, Arab, Latina, Native, Asian and Pacific Islander, low-income, and LGBT-identified women are strongly encouraged to apply. Dance experience is helpful but not required.
WHAT’S THE SCHEDULE?
The program is 4 weeks long and meets 4 days a week, 4 hours a day, Tues- Fri, July 5-29. It ends with two performances on July 29th.
WHERE IS IT?
The program takes place at Quesada Gardens, the 1700 block of Quesada Street in the Bayview District of SF.
WHAT’S THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
You can fill out the application on line or request one in the mail or over email. CLICK HERE TO APPLY.
Applications are due April 28, 2017.
Once your complete application is received, we will contact you to set up an in-person interview. We will notify you of your status by May 19th, 2017.
Contact Flyaway Productions at 415.672.4111 or firstname.lastname@example.org
GIRLFLY 2015: A Geography of our Own
Photos from GIRLFLY 2015 by Samuel Klatcho
GIRLFLY 2014: I’m Still a Girl – A statement on 21st century girlhood
GIRLFLY 2013: In Quesada Gardens
Dance Residencies During School and After School
Fish that Sneak. Boom Bands Billowing. Dancing on the Curve of the Earth.
Flyaway Productions makes dances for kids. We offer curriculum-based dance residencies in schools and in afterschool programs. Your young artists are our artistic collaborators. We lead with imagination, dynamic creative movement, and a deep respect for social justice. Our dances are athletic, kinetic, and socially relevant. We work with K-12 students, offering residencies and a final performance by your students.
Past and Present Community Partners
- Sunnyside Elementary School
- Mission YMCA
- ODC School
- Oasis for Girls
- June Jordan School for Equality
- University of San Francisco
- Berkeley High School
- The Marsh Youth Theater
We tailor each residency to your interests and curriculum
- “Where Does the Butterfly Go When it Rains?”
- “Earth Day Dances”
- The Disappearing Bees Dance”
- “Butter Battle Dances”
- “Dances for Oh the Places You’ll Go”
- “Rainforest, Dessert, and Ocean Dances”
- “Balancing on the Curve of the Earth”
Call for A Consultation: 415.672.4111 or email@example.com